ROCHESTER, NY — Monroe County remains in the throes of a severe COVID-19 outbreak. The lower number of 322 new daily COVID cases Monday was attributed to the sharp reduction in testing over the weekend but the new numbers Tuesday show the ongoing impact of local infections.
Monroe County reported seven deaths and 627 new daily cases Tuesday.
The total number of COVID-19 cases to date is 19,870.
The number of hospitalized patients in the Finger Lakes is 576, according to the state data, but hospitalization data tends to lag behind the new daily cases updates.
Of those patients, 102 are on ventilators.
The seven-day rolling average positivity rate for Monroe County is 7.45%, an increase.
The seven-day rolling average of new cases is 580 new cases per day.
There have been 15,330 total Released from Isolation to date. This number reflects confirmed positive COVID-19 cases and known presumed positive COVID-19 cases.
Here are details of the latest cases.
- 8 Females under 10
- 19 Males under 10
- 32 Females 10-19
- 43 Male 10-19
- 1 Non-binary 10-19
- 1 Not given 10-19
- 52 Females in their 20s
- 44 Male in their 20s
- 3 Non-binary in their 20s
- 1 Unknown in 20s
- 67 Female in their 30s
- 39 Male in their 30s
- 1 Non-binary in their 30s
- 44 Female in their 40s
- 30 Male in their 40s
- 2 Non-binary in their 40s
- 44 Female in their 50s
- 40 Male in their 50s
- 33 Female in their 60s
- 27 Male in their 60s
- 1 Non-binary in their 60s
- 27 Female in their 70s
- 20 Male in their 70s
- 17 Female in their 80s
- 11 Male in their 80s
- 15 Female in their 90s
- 3 Male in their 90s
- 0 Female 100+
- 0 Male 100+
- 1 Unknown age
Monroe County Sheriff Todd Baxter said Tuesday that 70 inmates and 26 jail deputies have now tested positive for COVID-19 at the Monroe County Jail.
Baxter announced plans to immediately start testing each of the 710 inmates in the facility after positive cases have surged in the past week. If a person tests positive, the inmate will be sequestered with others who have tested positive within the facility.
Baxter said that isolation window will last 21 days. He also announced plans for two 15-minute phone calls and one 30-minute video session per week to be free for each inmate.
Baxter said he is open to working with county lawmakers to potentially make all calls free moving forward. Currently, a 15-minute call costs $1.50 and the Sheriff’s Office receives $0.78 from each call.
All social jail visitations remain suspended.
All jail staff, including deputies, medical staff and mental health professionals, will be tested for the coronavirus upon returning to work after any scheduled days off.
The town of Irondequoit announced a new grant program Tuesday for locally owned small businesses who were forced to close or modify their operations as a result of an Orange zone designation under New York State’s Cluster Action Initiative.
This initiative is Phase II of the Revitalizing Irondequoit’s Small business Economy Program offered earlier this year.
The new COVID Micro-Cluster Business Emergency Relief Program will provide grants of up to $7,000 to qualifying businesses.
“With the recent spike in COVID-19 infections in our community, many businesses have been forced to once again shut their doors or limit their operations,” said Town Supervisor Dave Seeley. “This program targets those businesses who have recently been impacted by the State’s Cluster zone initiative, particularly our restaurants, nail & hair salons, and fitness centers located in the Orange Zone.”
The RISE program was created by the Town Board in June to provide emergency small business assistance to those enterprises impacted by COVID-19. Created through funds allocated by the federal CARES Act, it has awarded $272,500 to 76 small businesses, according to a statement from the town.
Application forms and more details are available at the town’s website: https://www.irondequoit.org/rise-program-phase-2
The Monroe County Department of Public Health on Monday reported that six youths and nine staff members at the Monroe County Children’s Detention Center have tested positive for COVID-19.
All infected youths are being quarantined away from non-infected youths and all infected staff are isolating at home, according to health officials.
Outside visitation is not currently allowed but children are connecting with family and lawyers virtually. Because of the outbreak, the center is not accepting additional youths at this time.
All staff and youths at the center will be tested every 24 hours until the infected youth are out of quarantine. County officials are working to create additional quarantine locations should more youths become infected.
According to a news release from the county, the infected children are feeling well, experiencing only mild symptoms and showing signs of progress. They will continue to receive 24 hour medical care until cleared of COVID-19.